Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wii And Another Generation

In recent months there have been articles and news clips buzzing with the excitement caused by the Wii, a home video system created by Nintendo. It has stirred not only the typical younger generation, but has reached a unique, new demographic - the older population. Why is Wii such a big deal among elderly? On the official Nintendo Wii gaming website, an article quotes one such individual. He mentions that, "it gets me moving and keeps my mind active.” The same older gentleman, James, remarks that, “I read the papers, go for walks, make my tea, but the Wii means I can do some things that in reality I’m a little past … a game of bowling is my favorite and I’m actually fairly good.” There are many similar comments made by senior citizens nationwide and worldwide. The Wii gives these folks the illusion of being back in their prime, and that boosts morale unlike anything else. That's why it is such a growing phenomenon in households, and care facilities.

Researchers are even getting involved! Without much funding, a European researcher turned to the Wii for aid in her endeavors to improve the balance of those 70 years old and above. There are great hopes and expectations for what the Wii can do for the elderly, many of which are being proven scientifically with the daily returning results.



How many of your grandparents have ever tried the Wii? Ask them and see what they think of it! With Wii Fit they could even try to get some exercise in. Please comment on any successes or personal experiences you have had or heard about.







4 comments:

  1. The wii is such a great invention!! I love the wii and I love the fact that it is a great tool for the elderly!! I've done it and its a great work out!! I need to get my grandparents to try it. The Wii is great and it gets those involved even in wheelchairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wii is a great tool for the elderly. I have actually never played it but I here it is fun. Maybe I will get my grandma one because she can't do exercise like she would like to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Wii! I think it is great to get everybody moving. Including the elderly in this activity can also foster friendship and build relationship. All around a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess people's assertion that technology is lost on the elderly is not true. I think the Wii is quite fun and it is great that it can be used to not only lift spirits but improve people mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete